← All Railroad Journal articles

Mercer County Core

The Bluestone Branch: A Century of Coal Through Western Mercer County

The N&W Bluestone Branch threaded through Bramwell, McComas, and dozens of coal camps from 1884 to its final freight run in 1984—the economic skeleton of western Mercer County for a hundred years.

6 min read Published by Princeton Railroad MuseumLast reviewed July 20, 2026

The Norfolk & Western's Bluestone Branch was the transportation skeleton of western Mercer County for nearly a century. Without it, the dozens of coal camps scattered along the hollows of the Bluestone River watershed and its tributaries would have had no practical route to market; with it, they became nodes in a coal-shipping network that reached ultimately to Atlantic ports and to industrial consumers across the eastern seaboard. At its fullest extent, the branch and its tertiary offshoots covered a dense web of track across a landscape that would otherwise have been among the most isolated in West Virginia. The branch gave communities their names, their post offices, their sense of existing in a world larger than the nearest ridge—and eventually their decline when the coal that justified all of it ran out.

The branch originated in 1883 as the "Flat-Top Extension," reflecting its purpose of reaching the coal-bearing Flat Top Mountain country south and west of Bluefield. Service to Bramwell was established by 1884, part of a broader N&W push to tap the extraordinary coal reserves of the Pocahontas field that the railroad's management under Frederick J. Kimball had identified as the key to the company's long-term financial future. Construction crews extended the line upstream along the Bluestone River through terrain that required consistent grading but no major tunneling at the lower elevations. By approximately 1890, the line had acquired the name "Bluestone Branch," a designation it would carry for the remainder of its active life.

Bramwell was the branch's first major community and its most architecturally distinctive stop. Named for Joseph H. Bramwell, who served as the area's postmaster before the town formally organized, it was incorporated in 1888—four years after the railroad arrived and specifically because the railroad's presence had generated sufficient population and commerce to justify municipal status. The coal mine owners who prospered along the Bluestone Branch chose Bramwell as their residential address, and the resulting concentration of Victorian and Edwardian mansions on a short stretch of ridge above the river bend became one of the most photographed streetscapes in southern West Virginia. Bramwell's downtown occupied a two-block-long meander of the Bluestone River, with the N&W tracks running alongside and the depot positioned for maximum access to both passenger and freight traffic. Simmons, a distinct railway stop immediately downstream, was absorbed into Bramwell's town limits by 1909, though it remained a point of branch departure for the Simmons Creek Valley spur.

The branch was extended to Duhring by approximately 1894, and at Duhring the line initially turned west to serve coal operations up Flipping Creek before the main alignment was extended northeast by 1901. The Flipping Creek Branch then became a tertiary line, running approximately three kilometers upstream to the community of Goodwill, where the Louisville Coal & Coke Company and Winding Gulf Collieries operated until mining ceased in 1958. Goodwill today has reverted almost entirely to woodland; portions of the former grade are accessible by all-terrain vehicle, but nothing of the camp infrastructure remains standing.

Montcalm—whose name replaced the earlier designation "Riverside" by approximately 1909—was the next significant branch stop, and from it the Crane Creek Branch diverged northwestward into one of the most productive secondary territories on the entire Bluestone Branch system. The Crane Creek Branch extended approximately nine kilometers through the communities of Godfrey, Crystal, and McComas. Godfrey and Crystal were named for the coal companies that established them—the Godfrey Coal Company and the Crystal Coal & Coke Company respectively—a convention so routine in the Appalachian coalfields that a community's name often functioned as a direct corporate identifier.

McComas, at the far end of the Crane Creek Branch, was by some accounts the largest coal camp in West Virginia, a claim supported by the extraordinary density of infrastructure visible in aerial photographs and USGS survey maps from the 1920s: hundreds of residential structures, multiple tipples, conveyors, classification yards, and administrative buildings radiating from a central rail corridor. The American Coal Company was the dominant operator, with Thomas Coal and Pocahontas Fuel also present, giving McComas an unusual degree of competing corporate presence within a single camp. The community paid workers in scrip redeemable only at company facilities, binding the workforce to the operator's commercial infrastructure in the fashion common throughout the coalfield region. In 1924, unsafe company dumping practices on the hillsides above the town contributed to a catastrophic landslide that inundated part of the community, killing ten people—one of the darker chapters in the long history of what the branch made possible.

From Rock, the branch turned west along Widemouth Creek toward Matoaka, the western terminus. Rock was noteworthy for being served by both the Bluestone Branch and the Virginian Railway's main line, which had completed its own passage through the Widemouth Creek valley in 1909. The two railroads ran in parallel through this stretch, offering competing services for the coal traffic of the western Mercer County hollows and creating, at Matoaka, the interchange function that made that community strategically significant. Beyond Rock, the branch served communities whose names preserved the full range of coalfield naming conventions: the Lefthand Fork Branch reached westward to Lamar (originally Algonquin until the 1930s), and the Righthand Fork Branch served the evocatively named Smokeless and Hiawatha, where three separate coal operators competed for the same workforce in the same tight hollow.

Through most of the branch's active life, the N&W provided daily passenger service connecting Bluestone Branch communities to the main line at Coopers and ultimately to Bluefield. The passenger service ended in 1953, a victim of the nationwide pattern of branch-line passenger discontinuance as automobile ownership spread and road quality improved across southern West Virginia. Bramwell's original Norfolk & Western depot was demolished following the service's end—a loss that the community eventually addressed by constructing a realistic replica in the late 1990s, which now serves as a visitor center and a physical acknowledgment of the central role the railroad station once played in Bramwell's identity.

A January 1910 fire unrelated to the railroad itself—but devastating to the commercial core of Bramwell—destroyed much of the downtown district nearest the tracks. Several buildings that survived that fire still stand today, preserved as part of a streetscape recognized for its historical and architectural significance. The fire underscored the fragility of the commercial prosperity that the railroad had generated: impressive as the mine-owner mansions were, the underlying economy was dependent on a single industry, and any disruption—fire, labor conflict, coal market weakness—could strip away prosperity with speed that the slow building of it had not anticipated.

Freight service on the Bluestone Branch continued well past the end of passenger service, sustained by the diminishing but still active coal operations in the Bluestone watershed. One by one, through the 1950s and 1960s and into the 1970s, the mines that had given the branch its reason for existence shuttered their tipples. The last freight movement on the Bluestone Branch occurred in 1984. Norfolk Southern, the N&W's corporate successor, still owns the right-of-way. Portions of the original rails remain in place near Bluestone Junction, used for freight car storage. The branch has never been formally abandoned—that legal step has simply never been taken—but a formal filing would merely confirm what the landscape already says: the coal is gone, and the tracks that moved it have become monuments to a century of extraction and the communities it sustained and ultimately consumed.

← Back to the Railroad Journal

Sources & further reading

Where this comes from

  • Andrew Turnbull, Roads and Rails of Mercer County WV -- andrewturnbull.net/nw-bluestone.html
  • Rails in Virginia -- railsinva.com/abandoned/nw/bluestone/index.html
  • bramwellwv.com historical archive
  • N&WHS Commissary, Bluestone N&W Branch Line publication -- nwhs.org/commissary/Bluestone.html
  • West Virginia Encyclopedia -- wvencyclopedia.org
  • USGS historical quadrangle maps, 1911 and 1925 editions
See it in person

Come stand beside the real thing.

Open Wednesday–Sunday, 11am–4pm at 99 Mercer Street. Admission is free — donations welcome.

Plan your visit →