← All Railroad Journal articles

Mercer County Core

Bricks, Brackets, and Waiting Rooms: The Architecture of Princeton's Virginian Railway Depot

The Virginian Railway's 1909 Princeton station served seventy years of travelers and workers before its 1979 demolition — and the museum now standing on its footprint carries its legacy forward.

4 min read Published by Princeton Railroad MuseumLast reviewed July 20, 2026

When the Virginian Railway completed its Princeton station in 1909, the town had never seen anything like it. A community that just a decade earlier had been a modest county-seat village of fewer than nine hundred people suddenly had a purpose-built railroad passenger depot: proof, in brick and timber, that Princeton had entered the industrial age on its own terms. The station was the Virginian Railway's most public face in town — the place where passengers boarded trains, where freight was weighed and ticketed, and where families gathered to see off soldiers, travelers, and relatives bound for the coalfields or the coast.

The Virginian Railway built its Princeton facility as part of the broader construction push that established the city as the headquarters of the railroad's New River Division. Princeton was not merely a way station on the Virginian's 443-mile line from Deepwater, West Virginia, to Sewalls Point near Norfolk — it was the administrative and operational center of the railroad's western half. The architecture of its facilities reflected that status. The depot combined public waiting areas with the practical spaces railroad operations required.

The building was constructed of brick — the standard material for permanent railroad stations of the era — in a style that balanced functional utility with the modest civic dignity expected of a divisional headquarters facility. Typical features of small-city railroad depots of the period included a prominent hipped or gabled roof with wide overhanging eaves to shelter waiting passengers from rain and sun, large windows to admit light into the waiting room, and decorative bracketing beneath the eaves. A separate section or freight annex handled smaller commercial shipments — less-than-carload freight that arrived and departed alongside the coal-carrying operations.

For passengers, the depot offered ticketing windows staffed by agents who sold tickets, checked baggage, and answered questions about schedules and connections. Waiting room benches provided seating for those watching the clock before departure. A small restaurant or lunch counter may have operated within or adjacent to the building during the peak years, though the exact arrangements varied over the station's lifetime.

The station also housed the telegraph and telephone equipment that connected it to the railroad's dispatching network. The depot agent was frequently the person responsible for relaying train orders and messages along the division — a critically important function in the days before centralized traffic control systems. Passengers waiting for a train might overhear the rhythmic clicking of the telegraph key and know that the agent was in constant communication with the movement of trains across hundreds of miles of track.

During the first decades of the twentieth century, the Princeton depot was among the busiest buildings in the city. The coal economy was booming, the Virginian's freight tonnage climbed year after year, and passenger traffic was brisk. Workers commuting to mine camps and shop facilities, coal executives traveling between the coalfields and New York, families relocating to take advantage of new industrial jobs, soldiers departing for two world wars — all of them passed through this building. The depot platform would have been crowded with the particular mix of nationalities and occupations that the early-twentieth-century coalfield economy assembled: railroad workers in overalls, suited businessmen, women in traveling clothes, coal agents with ledger books.

The station's role shifted over the decades as conditions changed. By the 1940s and 1950s, the automobile and improved highways were steadily reducing passenger numbers. The Virginian Railway merged with the Norfolk and Western in 1959, and Princeton's status as a standalone divisional headquarters diminished. Freight operations continued, but the human drama of passenger service — the comings and goings that made a depot a living part of civic life — was fading. The physical building aged alongside the institution it represented.

The Virginian Railway's Princeton station operated until 1979, when it was demolished. That date places its working life at seventy years — a full human lifetime of continuous service. For residents who remembered the depot at its peak, the demolition carried cultural weight beyond mere architectural loss. With the building went a tangible connection to the era of steam engines, uniformed conductors, and the particular kind of community that forms around a railroad town at its height.

The Norfolk Southern Railroad, successor to the N&W and through it to the Virginian, donated the site of the original station to the City of Princeton for use as a public museum. On that footprint, the community later built the Princeton Railroad Museum, which opened its doors on September 30, 2006. The new building was not a reconstruction of the 1909 original but a purpose-built facility designed to honor the history of the site. In a meaningful sense, the museum carries forward what the depot represented: a gathering place where Princeton's railroad identity is expressed and shared with every generation that walks through its doors.

← Back to the Railroad Journal

Sources & further reading

Where this comes from

  • Clio, "Princeton Railroad Museum" -- theclio.com/entry/43962
  • City of Princeton, "Railroad Museum" -- cityofprinceton.org/departments/princeton-railroad-museum
See it in person

Come stand beside the real thing.

Open Wednesday–Sunday, 11am–4pm at 99 Mercer Street. Admission is free — donations welcome.

Plan your visit →