← All Railroad Journal articles

Mercer County Core

The Heart of the Machine: Princeton's Virginian Railway Shops in Their Prime

At their peak in the 1920s, the Virginian Railway's Princeton shops employed more than 800 men with an annual payroll exceeding one million dollars — the industrial backbone of an entire city.

5 min read Published by Princeton Railroad MuseumLast reviewed July 20, 2026

Standing at Princeton's north end in the mid-1920s, a visitor would have encountered a landscape of purposeful industrial activity unlike anything else in Mercer County. Spread across acres of cleared ground were substantial brick buildings, their rooflines broken by ventilation monitors and chimneys. Rail tracks fanned in every direction. Locomotives stood at various stages of overhaul. The noise was constant — the clang of metal on metal, the hiss of steam, the rumble of overhead cranes shifting heavy components. This was the Virginian Railway's Princeton shop complex at full operation, and it was the largest single employer in the city.

The Virginian chose Princeton as the site of its major shop facility for sound operational reasons. Princeton served as the headquarters of the New River Division, which meant administrative and engineering staff were already concentrated there. The railroad's main line ran directly through the city, providing easy access for locomotives and cars requiring service. Construction of the shop buildings began during the Virginian's initial buildout between approximately 1905 and 1909, with a significant expansion campaign in the 1920s that added several of the complex's most substantial surviving structures.

The locomotive erecting shop was the operational heart of the complex — the building where major overhauls of steam locomotives took place. Overhauling a steam locomotive was not a quick job. Depending on the extent of wear, a locomotive could spend weeks in the shop before returning to service. Boilermakers removed and inspected the boiler, testing flue tubes and firebox sheets for cracks or deterioration. Machinists worked the running gear — driving rods, valve gear, piston assemblies — that translated steam pressure into the rotary motion of the wheels. Carmen handled the cab, tender, and related hardware. Each trade occupied its own portion of the shop floor, overseen by a trade foreman who maintained both quality standards and production pace.

The car wheel shop addressed one of the perpetual maintenance demands of a heavy coal railroad. The Virginian eventually operated gondola cars with a 120-ton capacity — among the largest coal cars in service anywhere in the world. Wheels subjected to that tonnage on steep mountain grades wore and cracked at significant rates. The wheel shop was equipped with the hydraulic presses and specialized machinery needed to remove wheels from axles, inspect them, and either recondition them for continued use or replace them outright. The operation ran continuously, keeping pace with the demands of a fleet numbering in the thousands of cars.

The machine shop produced and reconditioned the metal components that kept everything else running. A railroad shop complex of this era was in many respects a small-scale manufacturing facility. When a specific part for an aging locomotive was no longer commercially available, the machine shop's craftsmen fabricated it from raw stock. Lathes, milling machines, drill presses, and grinding equipment lined the floor. The men who worked at these machines were skilled in the fullest sense — capable of working to close tolerances on parts that would be subjected to extreme operational stresses.

By the mid-1920s, the Virginian shops at Princeton employed more than 800 men, with an annual payroll exceeding one million dollars. In a city whose entire population numbered only a few thousand, these figures were decisive. Railroad employment in Princeton was not one thread among many in the local economy — it was the dominant thread, the one that held everything else together. The merchants, doctors, teachers, and landlords all depended in some measure on the purchasing power that eight hundred railroad paychecks injected into the local economy every two weeks.

The Virginian's celebrated electrification program, completed in 1925, added a new dimension to Princeton's shop operations. The railroad electrified approximately 134 miles of its mainline between Mullens, West Virginia, and Roanoke, Virginia, operating at 11,000 volts single-phase alternating current. Princeton, situated within this electrified corridor, became a servicing point for the electric locomotives that hauled coal trains through the zone. Electric traction motors, control equipment, and pantograph systems required maintenance skills distinct from those needed for steam work, and the shop workforce adapted accordingly.

The transition from steam to diesel power in the 1950s fundamentally changed the character of work at Princeton's shops. Diesel locomotives required different maintenance than steam — less frequent heavy overhaul, but more sophisticated electrical and mechanical systems. The boilermaker trade, which had sustained Princeton families for two generations, became largely obsolete almost overnight. Men who had spent twenty years mastering the demands of steam maintenance found their expertise devalued. Some retrained for diesel work; others were transferred or retired. The transition was managed but not painless.

The 1959 merger of the Virginian into the N&W accelerated the consolidation of shop functions. A merged railroad had less need for two full divisional shop complexes serving similar territories, and the rationalization of facilities that followed gradually reduced Princeton's role. Employment at the shops declined through the 1960s and beyond as the economics of the merged system pointed toward fewer, larger, more centrally located facilities.

Several of the original shop buildings survive today within the boundaries of the Virginian Railway Yard Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. The locomotive erecting shop, car wheel shop, North Repair Shop, water pump houses, and other contributing resources stand as tangible evidence of the scale and ambition of what was built here. Walking among them, one can still sense the industrial intensity of the complex at its height — and understand why, for the better part of half a century, these buildings and the men who worked in them were the heartbeat of Princeton.

← Back to the Railroad Journal

Sources & further reading

Where this comes from

  • West Virginia Encyclopedia, "Virginian Railway" -- wvencyclopedia.org/entries/839
  • National Register of Historic Places, Virginian Railway Yard Historic District (NRHP #03000351), listed May 1, 2003
  • H. Reid, "The Virginian Railway" (Kalmbach Publishing, 1961)
See it in person

Come stand beside the real thing.

Open Wednesday–Sunday, 11am–4pm at 99 Mercer Street. Admission is free — donations welcome.

Plan your visit →