← All Railroad Journal articles

Mercer County Core

A Landscape Written in Brick: The Virginian Railway Yard Historic District

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003, Princeton's Virginian Railway Yard Historic District preserves an irreplaceable record of early industrial railroad architecture in the heart of Appalachian coal country.

5 min read Published by Princeton Railroad MuseumLast reviewed July 20, 2026

Industrial heritage is among the most fragile categories of historic preservation. The buildings that housed machine shops, locomotive erecting facilities, and car maintenance operations were designed for use, not for longevity after that use ended. When the industry moves on, the buildings often follow quickly — demolished for scrap, collapsed from neglect, or stripped for salvage. Against that background, the survival of a coherent cluster of Virginian Railway shop buildings in Princeton, and their recognition through a formal National Register of Historic Places listing in 2003, represents a genuine preservation achievement.

The Virginian Railway Yard Historic District was added to the National Register on May 1, 2003, assigned NRHP reference number 03000351. The district encompasses fourteen contributing buildings, one contributing site, and one contributing structure related to the Virginian Railway's operations at Princeton. At approximately 33 acres, it is one of the more substantial railroad-related historic districts in West Virginia. The breadth of the listing reflects the relatively complete survival of what was once a fully integrated shop complex — not just one or two landmark buildings, but a collection that together tells a coherent story about how a divisional railroad shop complex was organized and how it evolved over time.

The buildings in the district date to two distinct construction campaigns. The earliest resources — including the transfer table pit, the car wheel shop, and the machine shop foundations — date to approximately 1905 through 1909, the years of the Virginian Railway's initial buildout when Princeton was first established as the New River Division headquarters. A second group of buildings reflects a physical improvements campaign in the 1920s, when the Virginian was at the height of its profitability and willing to invest significantly in its facilities. The North Repair Shop, dating to approximately 1925, is the most prominent product of this second campaign. A later brick storehouse, dating to approximately 1940, represents the tail end of the Virginian's construction activity at Princeton before the railroad's merger with the N&W in 1959.

The architectural character of the district is what preservationists describe as a vernacular interpretation of the Romanesque Revival style. This is not Romanesque Revival in the grand, self-consciously monumental sense associated with architect H.H. Richardson, where the style's rounded arches and heavy masonry expressed institutional power. Rather, the Princeton shop buildings apply Romanesque Revival elements — rounded arch window openings, heavy brick construction, solid proportions — to industrial buildings designed primarily for practical purposes. The approach was common among railroad shop complexes of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Its consistent application across the Princeton district gives the complex a visual coherence that underscores its unified origin.

The transfer table pit, dating to approximately 1905, is among the oldest surviving elements and among the most evocative for anyone familiar with railroad shop operations. A transfer table was a rolling platform on a transverse track that could receive a locomotive from any one of several parallel shop stalls, move it sideways, and place it on a different track. This allowed a compact shop arrangement without requiring individual switching locomotives to maneuver engines between positions. The concrete pit that housed the transfer table mechanism — now empty of its moving parts — is a physical archive of the shop's original design logic.

The car wheel shop, also dating to approximately 1905, addressed one of the most persistent maintenance demands of coal railroad operations. Wheels on heavily loaded coal cars wore and cracked under the stresses of continuous service on steep mountain grades. The wheel shop's specialized equipment — hydraulic presses, wheel lathes, axle stands — allowed crews to remove worn or damaged wheels, inspect them, and either recondition them for further use or replace them entirely. It was unglamorous work, but the reliability of the entire coal car fleet depended on it.

The machine shop foundations document the location of the complex's metal fabrication and component reconditioning facility. A working machine shop of this era was equipped with lathes, milling machines, drill presses, and grinding equipment — the tools of precision metalworking applied to railroad components that had to perform reliably under extreme operational stresses. When specific parts for aging locomotives became commercially unavailable, the machine shop's craftsmen made them. The shop foundations, even without the building above, mark the footprint of this essential function.

Three water pump houses, constructed approximately between 1910 and 1920, speak to a dimension of railroad shop operations that is easy to overlook: the enormous quantities of water that steam locomotive maintenance required. Boiler washouts, hydraulic testing of repaired components, and the daily water needs of active locomotives all demanded a reliable, high-volume supply. The pump houses — modest in scale but solidly built — represent the infrastructure beneath the infrastructure, without which none of the more prominent shop activities could have functioned.

National Register listing does not guarantee preservation or fund restoration, but it does two important things. First, it creates a formal evidentiary record of a site's significance — a documented argument for its importance that can be used in future preservation advocacy. Second, it establishes procedural protections against federally supported projects that might damage or destroy the property, and it makes the district eligible for historic tax credits and certain grant programs that can help finance rehabilitation. For the Virginian Railway Yard Historic District, the 2003 listing was a tool in an ongoing effort to stabilize what survived and make the case for the district's long-term future.

For visitors to Princeton today, the district offers something rare: an industrial landscape that has not been sanitized, reconstructed, or interpreted into accessibility at the cost of authenticity. The bricks in these buildings were laid by craftsmen who were building for the Virginian Railway, for coal trains, for an industrial future they could not have known would last only fifty years. That they survive — and that their survival has been formally recognized — is a gift to anyone who wants to understand what this part of Appalachia once was.

← Back to the Railroad Journal

Sources & further reading

Where this comes from

  • National Register of Historic Places, Virginian Railway Yard Historic District (NRHP #03000351), listed May 1, 2003
  • Clio, "Virginian Railway Yard Historic District" -- theclio.com/entry/31019
  • West Virginia Encyclopedia, "Virginian Railway" -- wvencyclopedia.org/entries/839
  • West Virginia Encyclopedia, "National Register of Historic Places" -- wvencyclopedia.org/entries/1533
See it in person

Come stand beside the real thing.

Open Wednesday–Sunday, 11am–4pm at 99 Mercer Street. Admission is free — donations welcome.

Plan your visit →